Physician Referral Needed
To access this program, you need a referral from a family physician. If you do not have a local family physician, visit Alberta Find A Doctor to search physicians accepting new patients.
The Wood Buffalo PCN Telehealth Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program provides patients with chronic lung problems the ability to better manage their disease through clinically-supervised exercise and education services. Ask your local family physician if you would benefit from participation.
The program duration is 8 weeks, with two sessions each week. Follow-up care and participation in other programs at the WB PCN without further referrals is also possible. Your clinicians will work with you to determine an ongoing care plan that is best suited to your needs and interests.
The intent of the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program is to help you to:
- Increase your level of exercise and thereby diminish any disabilities you may have due to your chronic lung problems.
- Improve your compliance with your recommended treatments, as well as early treatment of any exacerbations, in order to decrease the risk of hospitalization.
- Decrease the frequency and severity of your symptoms.
- Improve your mood and motivation.
- Increase your autonomy through a more effective daily management of your disease.
- Improve your participation in daily activities, and improve your quality of life.
Exercise (2 hours each session)
Exercises are tailored to your individual capabilities and needs; they include warm-ups, stretches, breathing techniques, muscle strengthening, and endurance through utilizing weights, stationary bicycles, treadmills, and walking.
Your oxygen level and heart rate will be carefully monitored by your clinicians during all physical activities. We keep our class sizes small to ensure that you receive individual attention and can progress through the program safely.
Education (1 hour each session)
Educational sessions are presented by the registered respiratory therapist and the exercise specialist. One family member or personal support (friend, etc.) may accompany you during the education session if space permits. Topics covered include conserving energy, breathing techniques, coping with fear, anger, and stress, relaxation strategies, choosing healthy foods, and the importance of exercise.
To participate in the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program, ask your family physician if you are eligible for a referral.